Mason the Labradoodle, Our New Best Friend
Adam and I will be bringing our new, furry bundle of joy home in less than 1 week. It’s unreal! We’ve been to visit the little critters three times! I can’t deny myself time with a litter of puppies. Who can?
We went back this weekend to finally pick our puppy. Last week was nerve-wracking. I was so nervous we wouldn’t get our first pick. (Let’s be real. I was freaking out.) We will welcome our new family member this Saturday! Since pictures say more than words, here is a sneak peek at what our newest family member looks like.
Not him, but his cute little sister
So the new member of the family is….
He was our first pick and he’s beautiful. He has a great little personality too. His coloring is dark apricot, but if he takes after his daddy he may darken to a red and lighten again with some highlights. He already has goggles (pale coloring around the eyes), a light chest, and a few white feet. He really is as soft as he looks. And though it doesn’t seem possible, he’s even cuter in person.
I brought him Mr. Moose, his future bed buddy, to play with. Mr. Moose was almost as big as Mason, and about the same color. How cute. He gnawed on Mr. Moose’s antlers a little bit, but he was pretty tired.
I will be back next week with tons of pictures (and probably the week after that and the week after that). Here’s some more pictures to get us through the week:
In case anyone is wondering what we are doing to get ready for our puppy, here’s the brief rundown after we did breed research and selected our breeder:
- Read At the Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell
- Reading How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves by Sophia Yin
- Purchased wire crate with divider panel
- Purchased fleece pad for crate (eventually he will use this)
- Purchased training treats and bully sticks (the breeder is sending us home with a few days’ supply of food)
- Purchased a bed
- Cleaned off old puppy gates from my parents
- Purchased Nature’s Miracle, bitter spray, and toys
- Made a vet appointment for next week
- Still need to get a puppy collar and id tag
- Breeder will give us leash
- Need to get an ex pen for days we can’t make it home for a few hours
- May get a long lead for him until we get a fence
- Installing a fence is on the short to-do list